So what is to be learned from our everyday experiences, which often involve others? It doesn't seem obvious to me at first, because so many of my interactions don't seem to have meaningful content. I learn about others' health, the weather, the intensity of their current jobs and job assignments, sometimes about their feelings regarding politics and politicians, but of what impact is that to me?
Reading the first part of Romans 1, I'm drawn initially to the well-known, well-exposed verse 16 - "For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes, to the Jew first and also to the Greek." And I wonder, why isn't more of my interaction with others inclusive of the good news of the kingdom of God? Am I ashamed, or is my interest in others so miniscule that I don't care to share?
What else has Paul said in this passage? Going back, I realize that he's telling a group of people that he loves them! More than that, he finds it beneficial to him to be among them, recognizing that he "...may obtain some fruit among [them] also, even as among the rest of the Gentiles." Further, Paul states the he is "...under obligation both to Greeks and to barbarians, both to the wise and to the foolish." It strikes me that Paul has characterized many kinds of fruit, but the most outstanding are the fruits of the Spirit, and it seems that these would be experienced in the company of Greeks and barbarians, the wise and the foolish. He is telling the Romans that we are all interconnected, that we are all God's creation, that we benefit from one another's company and companionship.
Instead of curling up in my little corner of the world, I need to reach out and share myself and my God, and I will be the beneficiary.
God, thank you for your interest in me, and help me to be a better representative of You in this world and among your people.
Labels: contemplation, interconnectedness
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home